Tuesday, January 20, 2009
What's all the fuss about ISYF really? The only reason I'll go attend it, assuming I can but I can't, is to watch Kevin, Darren, Ng Peng and gang present their projects because I've never actually seen them present their SMTP projects. The recent ISYF opening ceremony was just to kidnap us for 3 periods and use us as fillers for the auditorium, which if not for us, would look far less impressive to the Nobel Laureates present. But missing two lessons was worth it as we got one period free (P.E.), effectively giving us a double break. Of course, I heard the PE teachers will hunt us down pretty soon and inflict upon us some unoriginal punishment like 20 rounds around the track or something.
Sigh, and this afternoon we were kidnapped again. In lieu of our practical but not all-important Biology practical, we went for the sacred ISYF formal presentation session. Most of us spent our time most wisely sleeping, doing homework, reading or worse, listening. I was doing a bit of everything. It started out relatively entertaining as I listened to all the horrid pronunciations of the JC/High school MCs as they tried pronouncing correctly with what they thought was an accent. Then it just got torturous when the maggot flatulence group presented. The first two presenters were absolute tortures to listen to. Because they kept using pseudo-American yet strangely Singaporean accents which isn't that bad in its entirety but coupled with their pronunciations...Became well, this auditory disaster. You should have heard the "My teammates and I" or try to hear the "th" sound because they never articulate it.
Only enjoyable part was when Heidi from Indonesia presented. I have to commend her really for being so passionate and knowledgeable about her project. And yet unfortunately, she needs elocution and English classes. I think she presented fine apart from the fact that she read from every single slide except when skipping long parts using the latin phrase "et cetera". Oh yes and she had one whole slide dedicated to explaining the word "bridge". I loved her opening! Basically it was a good afternoon followed by a long Indonesian greeting which she sped through so fast and we all stared in awe. Q&A was a blast! Read:
Q&A session
Heidi: I've come to the end of my presentation. Now-
(Roar of applause)
Heidi: Now if the Nobel Laureates or anyone from the floor has any questions, you may ask them.
American Nobel Laureate: Now, can you tell me why you used this shape for the design of this rolling bridge of yours? Why not other shapes like a honeycomb...or other hexagonal or more conventional structures?
Heidi: (Fumbles as she flips through the powerpoint to reach the blueprint slide) Yes. This is the bridge. And this is the sensor. This is the ship.
American Noble Laureate: Yes, you called this the steel plate. So why use this particular shape?
Heidi: Yes the steel plate rotates when the ship comes because of the sensor here. (Points to the wooden model in front of her) Do you need me to demonstrate?
American Noble Laureate: It's fine, I think the diagram is clear as it is.
Heidi: Ok. (Moves in front of the wooden model) Ok so this is the rolling bridge. There's a sensor here (Points to a part of the wooden model) and when the ship comes, the sensor will sense it and the bridge rotates (Turns the model bridge). And after the ship goes, there will be no ship. The sensor will sense it and the bridge will rotate again (Turns the model bridge).
(Audience murmurs/mumbles)
Heidi: So are there any more questions?
(Audience murmurs/mumbles)
Heidi: Ok thank you for your kind attention. Good afternoon, (insert long strand of Indonesian greeting)
(Audience roars and applauds her vigorously)
End
Well wasn't she classic? She even pronounced "concrete" as "concerrrt"!
Lovely.
And look at the extract from Jonathan Khoo's blog:
I am quite inspired by the Nobel Laureates at the Youth Science Forum, apparently, they are inspiring people, giving their life stories for us to hear and stating some of their achievements and discoveries. If only Hwa Chong held more of such talks, instead of once annually.
Lovely again!
Dark Memories[8:23 PM]
Toxicodendron Radicans
Toxicodendron radicans is a plant in the family Anacardiaceae. The name is sometimes spelled "Poison-ivy" in an attempt to indicate that the plant is not a true Ivy (Hedera). It is a woody vine that is well known for its ability to produce urushiol, a skin irritant that causes an itching rash for most people, technically known as urushiol-induced contact dermatitis.
Les souhaits
1) Master French and Japanese
2) Become more sociable
3) Master Toxicology in Plants, Molecular Biology, Botany and the Psychology of Persuasion
4) Be at least half as good as Monsieur Levet in Vovinam
Dark Memories
*September 2006
*November 2006
*December 2006
*January 2007
*April 2007
*June 2007
*December 2007
*January 2008
*February 2008
*March 2008
*April 2008
*May 2008
*June 2008
*July 2008
*August 2008
*September 2008
*October 2008
*November 2008
*December 2008
*January 2009
*February 2009
*March 2009
Grasswhistles
Welcome To the Dark Garden
Mon Jardin Obscur... Mes Mémoires Sombres...
La vie de joie n'est pas existe...
La vie vraiment n'est jamais juste...