Friday, January 16, 2009
Today's debut choir session was well, interesting for the first half and definite fun for the other. So with my phlegm-ridden throat and hypersensitive nose filled with mucus, I attempted to sing. And I did. Though not very well. Or just plain bad. The entire process was just unstable, as in my voice would serve me well at some times but it betrayed me on so many more occasions. With my blocked nose I couldn't help sounding like a cow and I could barely do a single note in falsetto that didn't resemble a banshee wailing due to my phlegm inhibition. But I enjoyed the experience, immensely, really. I was quite taken aback by the level of discipline for the earlier session with the first teacher as he was just screaming LAX back at us by appearing so...Mushy? Squishy? Sickly languid? And the break which was to start at 4 got extended because he dismissed us at 3.30pm. Perhaps it's drama's influence because as free-spirited as we may be or whatever adjective the drama club is associated with, we are required to be highly disciplined in a production. So this teacher...Well, I'll follow Kevin's advice and not pass judgment that hastily since Daniel said he doesn't usually teach this way.
But we had the teacher who auditioned us come for the second session after the 4pm break. And he's good...In terms of disciplining the crowd and actually teaching us to sing, new members taken into consideration. He had some sort of mini-orientation for the new members which involved learning about the soft palate which we must learn how to control and also the controlling of our voices using our stomachs, at which point I discovered he had rather strong stomach muscles me and Theron tried "fisting" his stomach only to get pushed back when he sang. He split us into sectionals to get us to learn our parts etc. Oh yes, I assigned myself to baritone. And I finally learnt that baritones were those that flitted occasionally between Tenor 2 and Bass 1 as demonstrated by Daniel the traitor! Rawr! Who abandoned me a second time under pressure by the Bass 1-ners to join Bass 1 when given a choice by the teacher. So I was in Tenor 2 today for the Hungarian song we were singing. And well I had many problems with my high notes...and phlegm. Because I couldn't do falsetto nor use my currently Beijing-damaged voice, so I just kept silent during the high notes. The low ones were fun though and the Secs 3 (or 2s) were really helpful by teaching me the correct notes and of course, Kevin's constant reassurance! So there's Kevin and Theron in Tenor 2, with a whole load of nice people. I certainly could live with this.
Looking forward to practice tomorrow. And I completed my Chinese compo today! Handing it in by slotting it under the door of the Chinese office at 7pm. It was the first ji xu wen we've written in ages. As usual, I turned something supposedly happy and hopeful into something cold and vindictive.
Czak torpene felehet os nagy sa got....
My first lyrics...As I remember them.
Dark Memories[10:52 PM]
Toxicodendron Radicans
Toxicodendron radicans is a plant in the family Anacardiaceae. The name is sometimes spelled "Poison-ivy" in an attempt to indicate that the plant is not a true Ivy (Hedera). It is a woody vine that is well known for its ability to produce urushiol, a skin irritant that causes an itching rash for most people, technically known as urushiol-induced contact dermatitis.
Les souhaits
1) Master French and Japanese
2) Become more sociable
3) Master Toxicology in Plants, Molecular Biology, Botany and the Psychology of Persuasion
4) Be at least half as good as Monsieur Levet in Vovinam
Dark Memories
*September 2006
*November 2006
*December 2006
*January 2007
*April 2007
*June 2007
*December 2007
*January 2008
*February 2008
*March 2008
*April 2008
*May 2008
*June 2008
*July 2008
*August 2008
*September 2008
*October 2008
*November 2008
*December 2008
*January 2009
*February 2009
*March 2009
Grasswhistles
Welcome To the Dark Garden
Mon Jardin Obscur... Mes Mémoires Sombres...
La vie de joie n'est pas existe...
La vie vraiment n'est jamais juste...